Monday, April 18, 2011

Ladies, You've Got An Edge. Use It!


Ever since I was little, I've gone through great troubles to make sure the edges of my hair were straight and flat. When I had a perm, and my new growth started showing, I would take a toothbrush, water, and sometimes gell, to slick my sides back. My toothbrush traveled with me, just in case those edges decided to creep back in. I didn't want anybody teasing me about new growth.

Even with my natural hair, my edges will crinkle up, coil if you will. It makes a fuzzy look around my face. Whenever I pull my hair back for a puff, I will take a scarf and wrap it around my edges to help them lay down. When I would go out, I'd remove the scarf, making sure my edges were "in place."

But today, I've changed my mindset. I'm embracing my edges! I will no longer feel the need to make my hair lay flat and bone straight. We, as black women, have been fed all of these negative lies, feelings, words, and images about our hair just because it's different from the mainstream. Think about it--nappy, buckshots, beady-beads, kitchen, mess, knotty, etc, etc! It's ok to be edgy. It's ok to be you.

Ladies, don't let society relax you. I'm living on the edge. Will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment